POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : The last line totally sells this : Re: The last line totally sells this Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:16:38 EDT (-0400)
  Re: The last line totally sells this
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 9 May 2010 15:02:20
Message: <4be706bc$1@news.povray.org>
>> Unfortunately, *I* was doing a computing degree, where almost anything
>> in any published book is out of date a very long time before the book
>> has even been printed.
>
> That doesn't mean it's wrong. That just means it's out of date.

True. Well, unless it says "this is the way this problem is typically
solved". Read any book on 3D computer graphics and it will tell you
about the Painter's Algorithm and god knows what else, when today
everybody just uses a depth buffer. (That hypothetical solution that
gets mentioned in one sentence and then skipped over because it
obviously requires an absurd amount of RAM to implement.)

> I was referring more like fiction books, religious books, etc.

Yeah. Like I said, I read Darwin's Black Box, there some guy claims that
since the molecular biology of the cell is really complicated, this
*proves* that it was designed by an intelligent being, and this is a
really exciting scientific discovery that we should all be looking into.
And I'm sitting there reading this book thinking "OMG, WTF???!"

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/