POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Not a geek : Re: Not a geek Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:19:04 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Not a geek
From: Orchid XP v8
Date: 9 May 2010 09:03:18
Message: <4be6b296$1@news.povray.org>

>>> Yeah, because we had quantum physics down pat centuries ago.
>>
>> Sure, science is still happening today. But name just *one* scientist
>> who's alive today who has done anything so world-alteringly significant
>> that almost every man, women and child in the Western world knows their
>> name.
>>
>> Yeah, exactly.
>
> How about Benoit Mandelbrot or Stephen Hawking, Richard Dawkins?

Hawking I'll give you. (I bet he's *really* fun conversation...)

Everybody recognises fractals when they see them; far fewer recognise
the name of Mandelbrot (or Julia or Pickover or Lorenz or Barnsley or...)

Richard Dawkins? Seriously, other than writing a book, what has this guy
ever done?

--
http://blog.orphi.me.uk/