POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photoshop CS5 : Re: Photoshop CS5 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:22:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photoshop CS5
From: Darren New
Date: 8 May 2010 14:59:01
Message: <4be5b475@news.povray.org>
Fredrik Eriksson wrote:
> Most importantly:
>  "The exclusive right shall not apply to:
>  (1) use which is not commercial"

Wikipedia:

"""
The rights conveyed by a patent vary country-by-country. For example, in
the
United States, a patent covers research, except "purely philosophical"
inquiry. A U.S. patent is infringed by any "making" of the invention, eve
n a
making that goes toward development of a new invention—which may
itself
become subject of a patent.
"""

So here, you don't even get to try it out yourself to see if you can make
 it
better.  Actually, I thought that patents explicitly did *not* cover use
for
research purposes, so either Wikipedia is wrong, the law changed since I

learned it, or I'm misremembering. It would seem terribly counter-product
ive
to let patents exclude research, given that the whole patent system is
intended to promote research.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)
    Ada - the programming language trying to avoid