POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:25 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 7 May 2010 13:15:39
Message: <4be44abb$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/7/2010 8:04 AM, Stephen wrote:
> On 07/05/2010 3:38 PM, Warp wrote:
>> Stephen<mca### [at] aoldotcom> wrote:
>>> My understanding of the phrase is it is a zone of free speech. ?Zone? is
>>> the subject and ?free speech? is an adjectival phrase
>>
>> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_speech_zone
>>
>> It's not a phrase. It's an actual legal term. And the whole notion is so
>> hypocritical that it baffles the mind.
>>

> OK then.
> My understanding of the term is that it is a "zone" of "free speech".
>
> As for it being hypocritical I'll leave that up to an American to answer.
>
> BTW in the UK there is no such thing as free speech except in our houses
> of parliament.

Its used at some colleges to supposedly, "Allow group of assholes X to
freely express themselves 'safely'.", when in fact having no function
other than to prevent anyone presenting apposing views at the venue. The
theory being that if you, I don't know.. think Obama is a Nazi and hate
fags, you can spew gibberish, lies and paranoia today, at your
"sanctioned" zone, but the people presenting the opposite view (or just
a more sane one) have to do it at the other end of campus, can't *cross
the line* and argue with the wackos, and/or have to host their, "No he
isn't, and there is nothing wrong with being gay.", presentation on some
other day.

Instead of an open exchange of ideas, you get the equivalent of lunatics
on soup boxes, being guarded by campus police, to *allow them* to say
any damn thing they like, and actually pointing out they are wrong,
correcting their facts, or worse, merely holding a different opinion,
can get you arrested and/or thrown off the campus. In other words, a
"free speech zone" is a public echo chamber, where the only people
allowed to participate are those willing to accept, or already
believing, the premises presented. Facts, other ideas, or even
discussion of specifics, if it seems like the later might derail their
"speech", is not allowed *ever*.

Its not just hypocritical, its poisonous to community cohesion, the
ability of anyone to find compromises, or anyone to get *any* point
across, to anyone not already predisposed to believe it, whether its a
factual and logical position or complete insanity. You might as well
pick three random sites, say.. conservapedia, wikipedia, and what ever
the "super liberal, altie med, everything that isn't new age is wrong",
version of those are, then claim that the first and last one's choices
to delete anything *not insane*, makes them "free speech zones", and not
signs of mental illness. How do you expect to make policy, reach
conclusions, or actually have an exchange of ideas, when only one side
is *allowed* to say anything? And, the usual gibberish reason for it is
something like, "The hate mongering, neo-nazis, are either a) afraid
they will be physically attacked (unlikely), or b) *did* physically
attack some other group last week (very likely), so its 'safer' to
create a 'zone' in which either the perpetrator, or the victims (which
ever one you imagine them to be), can say what they want, without threat
of violence." The idea that preventing the violence, while *still*
allowing alternate views to be expressed, seems to go way over some
people's heads...

--
void main () {

     if version = "Vista" {