POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Filter does not work properly in sky sphere : Filter does not work properly in sky sphere Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:42:45 EDT (-0400)
  Filter does not work properly in sky sphere
From: clipka
Date: 7 May 2010 10:19:39
Message: <4be4217b$1@news.povray.org>
I just noticed that "filter" does not work properly with (multi-layered)
sky spheres.

When using "transmit" in the pigments of a multi-layered sky_sphere,
they behave exactly like layered textures with the corresponding
pigments, i.e. the following look virtually identical:

(A)
   sky_sphere {
     pigment { Sky_Pigment_1 }
     pigment { Sky_Pigment_2 }
     pigment { Sky_Pigment_3 }
   }
(B)
   sphere { 0, 1
     texture { pigment { Sky_Pigment_1 } finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0
specular 0 } }
     texture { pigment { Sky_Pigment_2 } finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0
specular 0 } }
     texture { pigment { Sky_Pigment_3 } finish { ambient 1 diffuse 0
specular 0 } }
     scale 10000
     no_shadow
   }

However, when using "filter" instead, the layered-texture sphere's look
changes significantly (as expected), while the sky_sphere still looks as
if "transmit" had been used (unless the background can be seen through,
but in that case it still looks different from the layered-texture sphere).

As with many errors I reported here recently, this one appears to have
been around ever since, so a change would affect existing scenes.

I'd advocate to change it nonetheless (or make it depend on the #version
statement), to give the same results as the layered-texture sphere.

Comments, anyone?