POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:23:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Patrick Elliott
Date: 6 May 2010 22:22:16
Message: <4be37958$1@news.povray.org>
On 5/6/2010 12:25 PM, Darren New wrote:
> Warp wrote:
>> I think "reverse discrimination" is the idea that two wrongs can make
>> a right.
>
> The proponents claim that it's making up for past wrongs. Since
> economics (amongst other things) has a high level of hysteresis in
> families and cultures, by (for example) giving money to people for
> education who have families that traditionally have been unable to pay
> for education because of lack of education caused by earlier racial
> discrimination, you can get people back on par with the rest of the
> culture.

Unfortunately, it doesn't work, since the people involve are often *not*
interested in the help. Taking it is often even considered a betrayal of
their ideals, in some cases. There was a discussion on this a while back
on some MSNBC program, where the non-white brought in to talk about it
said, "We don't mind help, but we need to solve the problems ourselves,
and no one else can do it, so you don't want hand outs." It was clear as
mud as to what the hell she thought "help" would be, in such context, or
how you provide it, especially when the people involved flat out are
*not* solving the problems themselves.

--
void main () {
     if version = "Vista" {