POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Deconvolution : Re: Deconvolution Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:21:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Deconvolution
From: Kevin Wampler
Date: 6 May 2010 15:45:11
Message: <4be31c47@news.povray.org>
Darren New wrote:
> Kevin Wampler wrote:
>> will be noticeably (potentially significantly) deblurred (at least for
>> camera shake, defocus works less well).
>
> I would think the kernel for defocus would be different at each pixel,
> depending on the original depth from that pixel through the lens to
> whatever you're seeing there, yes?

Indeed, but even if everything was all at the same depth the kernel of a
defocus filter tends to be shaped such that reconstruction is less
accurate due to floating-point resolution issues (although since the
kernel is generally simple it's much easier to implement).

If things are at different depths then as you say it's a harder problem.
  Ditto for motion blur when parallax matters or there are independently
moving or non-rigid objects in the scene.