POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:22:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Darren New
Date: 6 May 2010 15:25:33
Message: <4be317ad$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   I think "reverse discrimination" is the idea that two wrongs can make
> a right.

The proponents claim that it's making up for past wrongs. Since economics
(amongst other things) has a high level of hysteresis in families and
cultures, by (for example) giving money to people for education who have
families that traditionally have been unable to pay for education because of
lack of education caused by earlier racial discrimination, you can get
people back on par with the rest of the culture.

> about the hypocrisy ("all people are equal and should have equal rights
> and privileges, but we are giving this group of people extra privileges").

It's not hypocrisy any more than making the thief give back the stolen money
is stealing.

I'm not saying I agree, mind, but I can see the rationale.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)