POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photoshop CS5 : Re: Photoshop CS5 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:31 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photoshop CS5
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 6 May 2010 13:38:04
Message: <4be2fe7c$1@news.povray.org>
On Thu, 06 May 2010 09:09:05 +0100, Invisible wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 05 May 2010 21:09:57 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>
>>> Just FYI, the camera doesn't have any option to save anything but JPEG
>>> format. You can adjust the colour balance (but not very much), and
>>> exposure and IIRC you can manually set the shutter speed in case
>>> you're insane.
>>>
>>> I still want a new camera. It's a PITA that I can't leave the
>>> batteries in this one...
>>
>> What kind of camera have you got?  (I suppose I could look at the EXIF
>> tags.....Fujifilm FinePix S304 it looks like.
>
> Yeah, that sounds right.
>
>> Changing the shutter speed, though, that's not insane, that's sensible
>> when you can tell how it will affect the image.
>
> No, I mean... When you adjust the exposure, you turn it up or down
> *relative* to what the camera thinks it should be. But with the shutter
> speed, you can have it automatic, or completely manual (i.e., you have
> to somehow *guess* what the number should be without any assistence).
> It's not relative to what the camera chose.

Well, yeah, but "somehow guess" is something that comes with taking some
trial photos (which I tend to do) until you get a feel for what the light
levels should be like for a particular setting.

My camera (a Canon PowerShot S50) lets me see what the exposure will be
without taking a picture - so I can adjust it before even shooting.   I
typically set the value to -1/3 because I can use raw tools to lighten it
up (that idea of not overexposing the image that someone else mentioned).

Then when I process it, I typically will increase the colour saturation
to some degree, as well as adjusting the white balance (my camera's auto-
balance isn't that good; I usually manually adjust the white balance in
the camera so it's "close" and then do a final adjustment on the image
when I'm reviewing the image).

Jim