POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Tabulation : Re: Tabulation Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Tabulation
From: Invisible
Date: 6 May 2010 10:55:05
Message: <4be2d849@news.povray.org>
Nekar Xenos wrote:

> Core i7 980X Extreme Edition
> *drool*

http://uk.insight.com/apps/productpresentation/index.php?product_id=ITOA06ZGW

Drool all you want, you can't afford it. ;-)

Then again, several of the benchmarks I've looked at have the 2-core
Core i3 chips at the top of the table, with the 6-core EE chip several
seconds slower. (Multithreaded, MUCH?)

The real question, of course, is whether the triple-channel RAM (which
makes the motherboard 120% more expensive) is actually worth it... This
seems to vary by benchmark.

I wonder how long it will take for hexacore to become cost-effective?
(Or how long before software starts using it - most software I've seen
is still doggedly single-threaded!)