POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Fighting a "civilization-ending" volcano : Re: Fighting a "civilization-ending" volcano Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Fighting a "civilization-ending" volcano
From: Invisible
Date: 6 May 2010 08:47:07
Message: <4be2ba4b$1@news.povray.org>
>> Sure. We can stop worring over highly improbable doomsday sceanarios, for
>> starters.
>
> But they're usually accompanied on TV by some neat-o computer graphics. Give me
> more!  (That's the only reason I watch that stuff--the 'doomsday scenarios' are
> just filler; the CG is cool!!)

IME, the CG is *terrible*. Like, "we filmed some smoke and then crudely
genlocked it over the sky behind that mountain".

> It's become clear to me that there really *is* no protection from/answer to
> possible 'cataclysmic events.'

We're overdue an ice age. It's been an unusually long time since any
nearby stars went supernova and irradiated the planet with deadly rays.
One day the Yellowstone supervolcano will explode again. Pathogens will
inevitably become resistent to every known biocide and kill us all. The
list goes on...

> The only solution to it all is..."Don't worry, be happy!"

To quote THHGTTG, "Don't panic!"