POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photoshop CS5 : Re: Photoshop CS5 Server Time
4 Sep 2024 19:20:36 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photoshop CS5
From: Sabrina Kilian
Date: 6 May 2010 07:14:25
Message: <4be2a491$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:
> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> On Wed, 05 May 2010 21:09:57 +0100, Orchid XP v8 wrote:
>>
>>> Just FYI, the camera doesn't have any option to save anything but JPEG
>>> format. You can adjust the colour balance (but not very much), and
>>> exposure and IIRC you can manually set the shutter speed in case you're
>>> insane.
>>>
>>> I still want a new camera. It's a PITA that I can't leave the batteries
>>> in this one...
>>
>> What kind of camera have you got?  (I suppose I could look at the EXIF
>> tags.....Fujifilm FinePix S304 it looks like.
>
> Yeah, that sounds right.
>
>> Changing the shutter speed, though, that's not insane, that's sensible
>> when you can tell how it will affect the image.
>
> No, I mean... When you adjust the exposure, you turn it up or down
> *relative* to what the camera thinks it should be. But with the shutter
> speed, you can have it automatic, or completely manual (i.e., you have
> to somehow *guess* what the number should be without any assistence).
> It's not relative to what the camera chose.

The camera should have a way of telling you what it thinks optimum
exposure is. Without any training, you can gauge from that.

Or you can guess from the Sunny 16 rule, f16 and 1/ISO shutter speed.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Sunny_16_rule

Looking at the manual for the S304 manual mode, it looks fairly simple.
f2.8,4.8,8.2 apertures, really weird choices on the 4.8 and 8.2, but
those are what it has. Since you have expressed that you want the stuff
in focus to be in focus, while the rest gets blurred, use a lower fstop,
2.8 is really narrow. Then, it looks like you do not get a shutter speed
adjustment, just aperture priority mode, so you don't have to worry
about the math or gauging the light available from the sun. Just tell it
the aperture, and let it go. If that is still too bright, could be that
the camera isn't as smart as it pretends to be, and dial the exposure
down, -1 or what ever.

Ap priority is in the photography menu, should show up on the bottom of
the lcd after being selected with "1/5000f2.8" or what ever, based on
the speed it thinks is good, and the aperture you selected. But for
heaven sake, get it out of auto mode.