POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity: maximum_reuse : Re: Radiosity: maximum_reuse Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:49:01 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity: maximum_reuse
From: clipka
Date: 6 May 2010 05:15:08
Message: <4be2889c$1@news.povray.org>
Am 06.05.2010 10:19, schrieb Thomas de Groot:
> This info is unclear to me: what is the default value of the new radiosity
> parameter maximum_reuse, and how to best use it in combination with
> minimum_reuse? Maybe a little addition to the Radiosity Voodoo can be
> expected...?   ;-)

maximum_reuse defaults to 0.2 - which was also the hard-coded value in
POV-Ray 3.6.

In a nutshell, the parameter governs the maximum effective radius of
radiosity samples in just the very same way as minimum_reuse governs the
minimum effective radius; a value of 0.2, for instance, means that a
sample at X units distance from the camera will be re-used within a
radius of at most 0.2*X units.

Obviously this parameter should be > minimum_reuse at all times. While
reducing the value will almost certainly increase rendering times, it
might be useful e.g. in cases where you have wide open spaces with a few
comparatively small objects, which the radiosity pretrace might tend to
miss otherwise.