POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Beta 37 changes to file gamma? : Re: Beta 37 changes to file gamma? Server Time
6 May 2024 05:53:45 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Beta 37 changes to file gamma?
From: Alain
Date: 5 May 2010 22:08:37
Message: <4be224a5$1@news.povray.org>

> clipka<ano### [at] anonymousorg>  wrote:
>
>>> ====================================================================
>>> ; Persistence Of Vision raytracer version 3.5 sample file.
>>> File_Gamma = 0.980
>>> Display_Gamma = 0.980
>>> Antialias=On
>>> Sampling_Method=1
>>> Antialias_Threshold=0.1
>>> Antialias_Depth=4
>>> Input_File_Name=name.pov
>>> Output_Alpha=off
>>> Output_File_Type=N   ;; S= bmp, T=uncompressed tga&    N png output
>>> +w800
>>> +h600
>>>
>>> ;+w3200
>>> ;+h2400
>>> Cyclic_Animation=off
>>> Pause_when_Done=on
>>> ===================================================================
>>
>> Are you sure these are the same settings that you used with beta.36?
>>
>> To be frank, I can't imagine you used PNG output when working with
>> beta.36 - because with PNG files, it doesn't matter what encoding gamma
>> (derived from File_Gamma) is used: They will only seem to match the
>> render preview if you set the proper Display_Gamma for your system
>> (provided the image viewer does a proper job).
>>

>> Anyway, a beta.37a is just about to be released that will restore
>> beta.36 gamma behavior.
>
> Hello Clipka and Alain,
> If two povman have the same problem, may be they are a problem somewhere in the
> beta 37?
> I use this ini file:
>
>>> File_Gamma = 0.980
>>> Display_Gamma = 0.980
>>> Antialias=On
>>> Sampling_Method=1
>>> Antialias_Threshold=0.1
>>> Antialias_Depth=4
>>> Input_File_Name=name.pov
>>> Output_Alpha=off
>>> Output_File_Type=N   ;; S= bmp, T=uncompressed tga&    N png output
>>> +w800
>>> +h600
>>>
>>> ;+w3200
>>> ;+h2400
>>> Cyclic_Animation=off
>>> Pause_when_Done=on
>
>   With file gamma AND (so both) Display gamma values 0.98, 1.0, 2.0 and 2.2,  the
> picture in the povray window and the picture in the file is not the same for
> povray 3.7 beta 37 but it was OK with the previous version. My input files are
> all the same, but with beta 37 the gamma is not the same. It's to much time ago
> that I don't use v3.6. But finally, may be I will return back to v 3.6 because
> the time need for rendering picture is the same with v3.7 beta 37 so why to use
> full charge of the CPU for the same result and time consuming.
>
> - So how to obtain the same gamma settings in the povray render windows and file
> and which file format you recommand for povray 3.7 beta 37 windows XP, Vista and
> 7.
> - If it is possible to find the previous version somewhere?
>
> many thanks for your advices,
>
> best regards,
>

> JJ

My ini file DON'T contain ether File_Gamma nor Display_gamma and my
renders show and display correctly.

Maybe it's a problem that occurs only when you explicitely set those
parameters...

Alain