POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Photoshop CS5 : Re: Photoshop CS5 Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:23 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Photoshop CS5
From: Darren New
Date: 5 May 2010 14:53:23
Message: <4be1bea3$1@news.povray.org>
Sabrina Kilian wrote:
> Not really, there are some scary lawyer words buried in those owner's
> manuals.

I just read a recent discussion where someone went thru a bunch of user
manuals for all the high-end cameras, including like the things that TV
studios and digital movie production houses use, and they *all* say you have
to go get your license for any commercial use. Indeed, individual viewers
also need a license to watch any video that was *ever* in MPEG (h.264?)
format that ever had any sort of money transfer associated with it.

So if you take a video with a camera that records it as mpeg, transcode that
to FLV, share it via youtube (where youtube makes money serving ads), and I
watch it, I technically need a license to watch that video.

> If you own old lenses, it's worth the time, and maybe money, to look at
> the different cameras. If you don't own old lenses, it doesn't matter.

I had old lenses, but not so old they didn't have autofocus. :-)

> I have lenses older than me. SLR bodies, folding cameras, and
> 8/super8/16mm film cameras too. Twenty five cents goes a long way at tag
> sales.

Yep.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)