POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Warp
Date: 5 May 2010 14:18:38
Message: <4be1b67e@news.povray.org>
> So, tell me a little bit about the issues there in Finland - I don't read
> a lot of news from Finland, so I wasn't aware there was an escalation
> regarding immigration laws there.

  There are many people here who are looking at Sweden and its immigration
problems (which are completely real, as even the Swedish press, which
has traditionally censored every immigration-related issue in the past,
is slowly opening a bit to report problems with immigrant suburbs, such
as riots, arson, ambulances and firetrucks being thrown with stones and
bottles, and other such acts of violence performed by immigrants), as
well as Britain (a bit of googling should give good resources) and France,
and are fearing that Finland is going down the same path, and trying to
raise consciousness about this.

  At the same time the so-called "multiculturalists" are trying everything
they can to deny any such problems either existing or being significant,
as well as trying to "educate" the Finnish people that we are, allegedly,
extremely racist and that we need tons and tons of immigrants. The vast
majority of the media is on this "multiculturalists" side, sometimes even
to rather amazing extremes (such as launching systematic public loathing
campaigns against politicians who criticize the current immigration policy
trends).

  There was a big commotion some years, especially on the media, when a
politician who is quite known and very vocal about is critique of the
current immigration policies and "multiculturalism" was almost elected to
the Finnish parlament (he was just some votes short of getting there).
Afterwards he got elected to the city council of Helsinki. Since then
there has been, basically, a coordinated attack against him by the Finnish
media. He has been systematically loathed, and even criminally investigated
(this got so far as a court trial for something he wrote many years earlier).

  Of course he is not the only one, but he has apparently been selected by
the media as the main target.

  Rather than the whole thing dying down, this has only escalated in the
last few years. Even to the point where other politicians cannot keep
quiet anymore, but are more or less forced to take public stances on the
immigration issue. (This puts many of them in a difficult situation because
a significant portion of voters are leaning towards the critical side,
and the politicians don't want to alienate them.)

--
                                                          - Warp