POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:18:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 5 May 2010 14:12:45
Message: <4be1b51d$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 05 May 2010 13:41:01 -0400, Jim Henderson wrote:

> See the post I just wrote with the OED definition of racial profiling.
> That's the definition I'm using.

In digging through definitions for profiling (which led me to 'offender
profiling'), I think I see where there may be a disconnect here.

Racial profiling is what I previously defined it as (so I won't re-cite).

Offender profiling, however, is a compound usage that's common in
Britain, defined as:

offender profiling n. orig. and chiefly Brit. a system of analysing and
recording the probable psychological and behavioural characteristics of
the unknown perpetrators of specific crimes so they can be matched with
the known habits and personalities of suspects

This is something that is done in the US - the idea is basing the
criteria for a search based on common traits of offenders.  This is not
the same as racial profiling, because offender profiling uses the
statistical characteristics of a known class of criminal and starts from
the traits of those who are known to be guilty of committing a class of
crime.  It also focuses on psychology and behaviour rather than physical
traits.

Racial profiling starts at the other end of the spectrum - rather than
starting with a classification of the guilty, it starts with the
assumption that someone of a particular race must be guilty.

I can see how the two could be easy to confuse, though, especially when
popular culture presentations of offender profiling includes sentences
like "the suspect is probably a black male in his mid-30's [...]" which
isn't a behavioural or phychological trait that would be used for this
type of profiling.

Jim