POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 23:19:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Warp
Date: 5 May 2010 13:40:43
Message: <4be1ad9a@news.povray.org>
> >> and you've pretty flatly rejected
> >> those explanations instead of saying something like "that's not how it
> >> works here, but I can understand why people in the US might feel this
> >> way given the history".
> >
> >   And now you are once again putting words in my mouth. I'm sorry I have
> > to say that, but it's just true.
> >
> >   I have never said anything even remotely resembling "that's not how it
> > works here" when talking about racial profiling.

> That was an example of a way to respond, not something that you've said.
> Please reread what I wrote and let me know what's not clear about it,
> because I don't know of another way to say "this type of response would
> be better".

  I misread "instead of saying something like" as "instead you are saying
something like", which lead to the confusion.

  (I suppose I'm getting a taste of my own medicine here, as I taunted
Darren about him confusing "outlandish" with "outrageous", and now I misread
something and reacted based on that...)

  (And btw, that's not how it works here either. Things like racial
profiling *are* touchy subjects here as well and sources of heated
discussions, especially nowadays.)

> I don't understand what you're trying to say here at all.  I didn't bring
> up the driver sobriety test

  It was the only thing that I have written that resembled the "that's not
how it works here", so I assumed you were referring to that. Of course this
assumption was based on the misreading of your post.

> I didn't say that I made such an assumption.  My assumption here is that
> your experience is based on life in Finland, and when talking about the
> law (or anything), your views are coloured by your life's experiences
> (just as they are for the rest of us).  It's important to be aware that
> things (in general) are done differently in different parts of the world
> and to be aware when saying/implying/setting someone up to infer
> (intentionally or not) "our way is better" that other peoples'
> experiences will differ because their background is different.

  Well, Finland isn't too different from the US in that if you are too
loud about these things, you will very easily get labelled as a racist.
This has escalated a lot during the last few years when the discussion
about liberal immigration and its possible problems have been brought up
more and more.

--
                                                          - Warp