POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
8 Oct 2024 16:05:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Darren New
Date: 5 May 2010 12:51:27
Message: <4be1a20f$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   (Well, I didn't actually keep my promise. I succumbed into trying to
> explain it, once again, to Darren in a previous post I made today. Let's
> see if it helps this time. If not, then I suppose this is hopeless.)

You had a very clear explanation. The problem seems to be that when people
say "I understand exactly what you mean. Here is why you're wrong" then your
response seems to be "you must not understand what I mean."

We (at least I) do actually understand what you're trying to say. But the
conversation is going:

You:  "If X then Y."

Us: "Never X."

You:  "Yeah, but *if* X, then Y!"

Us: "We understand. But X is never the case. Do you undertand that?"

You: "But all I'm saying is, *if* X, then Y! I'm not saying X. I'm just
saying If X Then Y. There's no need to be afraid of X. X isn't special."

Us: "No, X isn't special. But X, regardless of which specific X, is never true."

We're trying to figure out why you keep advocating "If X then Y" when X is
never true, and to figure out if you understand that X cannot now or ever be
true, regardless of what specific traits you plug into the formula for X.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)