POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:25:55 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Warp
Date: 5 May 2010 07:32:46
Message: <4be1575e@news.povray.org>
> That's because you keep saying "profiling based on race isn't a problem"

  The problem is that when you say "profiling based on race", you are
implying some kind of prejudiced discrimination and abuse based on race.
When I say "profiling based on race" I mean "making statistics based on
race, and *if* those statistics could be used to do something more
efficiently, then do it". That doesn't imply discrimination nor racist
prejudice.

  You can argue that race can *not* be used as a profiling factor to
distribute police resources more efficiently. Well, my answer to that is:
If that's so, then don't use race as a profiling factor, it's that simple.
My *point* is, however, that *if* race *could* be used to catch criminals
more efficiently, then it would make sense to do so. (But I do understand
that many people could get offended by that, so there are also practical
reasons why it cannot be done.)

  Personally I don't see race as such a holy element that must be protected
from such things. It's no different from gender, age or any other personal
feature.

> and then claim - quite counterintuitively, that you don't see race.

  I have made no such claim. (Why do I feel like I'm repeating myself?)

  What I have claimed is that to me race is exactly as important and
unimportant as any other personal factor, such as gender, age, shoe size
or hair color. I don't care about race any more or any less than about
any of those other things. It's all the same.

> >> What we have here is a failure to communicate.  Plain and simple.  You
> >> simply refuse to acknowledge that you play a role in this failure to
> >> communicate, and that everyone ELSE must be stupid.
> >
> >   See, here we go again. You are putting words in my mouth. Words I have
> > never said. This is your idea of "communication"?

> Oh FFS, I AM NOT PUTTING WORDS IN YOUR MOUTH.

  You wrote quite directly above, that in my opinion "everyone else must
be stupid". I have not said nor implied any such thing. If that's not
putting words in my mouth, then what is?

--
                                                          - Warp