POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 07:23:33 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 4 May 2010 18:15:56
Message: <4be09c9c$1@news.povray.org>
On Tue, 04 May 2010 14:54:49 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> You're the one who's making assertions, Warp - if you don't want to
>> back them up, that's fine, but don't be surprised when people challenge
>> your assumptions.  I think Andrel has you pegged right, that you do a
>> very poor job of translating what you're thinking into words on the
>> screen, and then you get pissed at everyone because we're *trying* to
>> understand something YOU think is obvious - and then you start lashing
>> out at people saying that they're intentionally misundersanding you
>> just to piss you off.
>
>   Incorrect. I get pissed off when people keep telling the lies even
>   after
> I have explained what I mean many, many times. Even after I have told
> ten times "I didn't say that", people still keep at it again and again.

That's just it:  You accuse others of *lying* when in fact the
restatement of what you've said isn't accurate.  It isn't that we're
LYING, it's that you're not being clear enough for us to understand, and
we're trying to clarify your position.  Then you start employing the
"liar liar pants on fire" defense and getting pissed off.

And you wonder why people don't like debating with you.  Maybe it's
because you (a) deal in absolute positions, and (b) instead of clarifying
when someone says "you're not making sense", you launch into personal
attacks.

>> Maybe it's time for me to filter your posts again, because you take
>> such an irrational approach to discussion.  But of course, you'll see
>> that as some sort of insult, no doubt.
>
>   If that makes you feel better, who am I to stop you?

It doesn't make me feel better.  I like *reasoned* debate.  But when I
come up against someone who takes an absolutist position and then turns
around and accuses me of twisting what they said and then accusing me of
lying, when I'm actually TRYING TO UNDERSTAND, yeah, I get pissed off to
the point of saying "there's no point in continuing the discussion."

Jim