POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Processor Groups : Re: Processor Groups Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:24:51 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Processor Groups
From: Le Forgeron
Date: 4 May 2010 12:24:02
Message: <4be04a22$1@news.povray.org>
Le 04/05/2010 15:47, Fredrik Eriksson nous fit lire :
> On Tue, 04 May 2010 14:14:50 +0200, Warp <war### [at] tagpovrayorg> wrote:
>> Christian Froeschlin <chr### [at] chrfrde> wrote:
>>> As far as I understand this will be required
>>> under Windows if an application wishes to make use of more than
>>> 64 logical cores
>>
>>   Why?
>
> Windows clusters processors into groups of no more than 64 in each group
> for performance reasons.

Tsss.

So, because the ms-os scheduler is flawed (and might not scale fine on
high number of processors (including pseudo-cores of HT), as well as
they have a limited API interface), they are reporting the usage of more
than one group to the applications.

Remind me of (non-)multitasking... the microsoft way in windows 3.

I like the marketing-bs about hot-pluggable processors and the
reservation of room in groups, and yet making groups as big as
possible... laughable.

Notice: you need a 64-bit version of 7 or 2008R2...
And for a lot of memory, you need the higher (more expensive) versions
(for just a registry change... AFAIK)
Well, given the hardware cost per cpu (even with 8 cores/16 HT) and the
others parts, it might be a fine line in the pricelist.
But on such hardware, usually, you use virtualisation at its best,
running windows only as a VM, not the main (barebone) OS. Chances are
windows won't get to see all the processors at once anyway.

Now, if someone wants to prove me wrong and offer me a 256-way xeon 7500
machine, fully loaded with processors, memory, and all, just feel
free... I would install Linux in it (bigiron kernel), and might need
some more money for the electricity bild (and cooling).
I'm afraid the graphic card will be horrible.

I would stand by: source of povray are available, if you have such a
computer, and wants full povray on it, you might as well perform the
fine tuning of the code for the actual setting. Then share it with the
pov-team!

Note also, MS-way: groups are not backward compatible with Vista, 2008,
2003, XP...