POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Wine on 64 bit linux : Re: Wine on 64 bit linux Server Time
11 May 2024 05:36:00 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wine on 64 bit linux
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 4 May 2010 06:42:15
Message: <4bdffa07@news.povray.org>

>>> I'm a total n00b at Unix. I've installed Pov-Ray 3.6 on Linux via
>>> the software manager, but I obviously can't get the beta there.

   I forgot to say that you probably will prefer to go by the Wine route for
the beta. Just install wine, the double click on the msi you downloaded from
the POV-Ray site. Nicely, all your POV files will get associated on nautilus.

   It's slow to start, but then it works pretty well if you don't have the
desktop effects enabled. There is a little problem with the tool buttons not
showing at times, but if you re-size the window they will appear.

   For me it works like a charm under Fedora 11. In fact, the scene I'm
rendering in this very moment is almost 6 times faster than 3.6 or MegaPOV,
when it should be only 2 times faster at most... this might be a very rare case.

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres

http://www.ignorancia.org