POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.unix : Wine on 64 bit linux : Re: Wine on 64 bit linux Server Time
11 May 2024 02:10:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Wine on 64 bit linux
From: Jaime Vives Piqueres
Date: 4 May 2010 06:12:00
Message: <4bdff2f0$1@news.povray.org>

> I have 4Gb Ram and I'm dual-booting WinXP 32bit and Linux Ubuntu Ultimate
> Edition 64Bit.
>
> Will Pov-Ray 3.7 Beta 36 on Wine be able to use the full 4Gb RAM?

   I'm not sure as I didn't find a clear answer to this, but it seems so.

> I'm a total n00b at Unix. I've installed Pov-Ray 3.6 on Linux via the
> software manager, but I obviously can't get the beta there. I also have
> yet to figure out how to use Pov-Ray on Linux :)

   My preferred method is to have a file manager window showing the scene
folder, then I open the scene/include files with my favorite editor, and
also a terminal to type the command line:

   http://www.ignorancia.org/uploads/images/Screenshot.jpg

   If you are using nautilus as file manager, there is an additional package
which adds the ability to open a terminal on the current folder: it's very
useful. As for the editor, I use SciTE: it has a POV language definition for
syntax coloring, and manages *big* files pretty well.

   The typical command line would be something like:

   povray +Itest.pov +w800 +h600

   Usually you type this one time, as later you can go back on the command
line history by using the keyboard arrows, change the resolution or add more
options, and render again.

   Hope this short intro helps...

--
Jaime Vives Piqueres