POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:28:05 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Darren New
Date: 3 May 2010 16:53:29
Message: <4bdf37c9@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   You can argue that profiling people like this is not the best and most
> efficient way of doing it, but why must racism always be assumed?

Because there are trivial ways of ensuring it's prevented.

When we first started having a bunch of checking of bags at the airport
gates here, the checkers working juuust before you go on the plane would
roll a die. If it came up 6, you got checked. Not if you looked arabic, or
mexican, or smelled bad. That's random.

If you've been in an international airport, you might have seen a red/green
light at customs. You push the button. If it turns red, you get checked.
That's random.

The policeman saying "I'll check *that* guy in the crowd" very likely is
racists even if the policeman doesn't think it is. He's going to use his
"hunch." His beliefs are going to affect his choice. This is why we have
science - to keep even unconscious beliefs from affecting our worldview.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)