POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 15:21:28 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 May 2010 16:44:56
Message: <4bdf35c8$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 03 May 2010 16:38:41 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> You've said that there's nothing wrong with law enforcement asking
>> random people for their ID.
>
>   In fact, what I have done is to oppose the idea that law enforcement
>   asking
> random people for their ID (or doing other types of checking) is
> *always* a bad thing, which seemed to be what was being suggested here.
> That's a bit different from claiming that it's always a good thing.
>
>   As I said, the police checks random drivers here, and I don't see it
>   as a
> bad thing. Hence it's not *always* a bad thing.

And over here that's not the way law enforcement generally works.  You
seem to trust your government; over here, we tend not to.

>> The Arizona law makes "being brown in public or private places in
>> Arizona" a crime.
>
>   I have hard time believing the law actually says that...

Not in those specific words.  The law is available online, feel free to
read it (I have, actually).  I've read the law and I've read several
opinions and interpretations of it that help explain what the legalese
actually means in practical terms.

No law would be written to be overtly racist, but that doesn't mean that
the implications of enforcing it wouldn't be.

Jim