POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 19:25:37 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 May 2010 16:04:48
Message: <4bdf2c60$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 03 May 2010 13:55:10 -0400, Warp wrote:

>> On Sun, 02 May 2010 03:05:24 -0400, Warp wrote:
>
>> >   So all other types of criminal profiling are ok, but not profiling
>> >   based
>> > on how someone looks like?
>> >
>> >   I really think this is political correctness getting in the way of
>> > criminal investigation.
>
>> No, but being brown isn't a crime.  What about that do you not
>> understand?
>
>   I didn't say being brown is a crime, nor did I anywhere even imply
>   that.
>
>   I don't understand your response.

You've said that there's nothing wrong with law enforcement asking random
people for their ID.  There is in the US - in order to do so, they have
to have probable cause of the individual having committed a specific
crime.  The police in the US aren't permitted to stop random people and
ask to see their ID just because they feel like it.

So in order to be stopped, the individual has to have committed a crime.
The Arizona law makes "being brown in public or private places in
Arizona" a crime.

That's unconstitutional.

You are saying there's nothing wrong with the police asking people for
ID.  There is in the US under US law.  So by supporting the position that
the police can stop people "just because they match the assumed profile
of illegal immigrants", and the only criteria for such a stop is their
ethnicity, you are therefore saying that being brown is a crime (whether
you say so explicitly or not), because *otherwise* what are they being
stopped for?

Jim