POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
9 Oct 2024 04:01:47 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 3 May 2010 15:33:10
Message: <4bdf24f6$1@news.povray.org>
On Sun, 02 May 2010 14:47:07 -0400, Warp wrote:

>   Maybe I'm being dense here, but I still don't get it.

There is a difference between "we have a specific crime that we are
looking for suspects for" and "we are doing random checking to see if
someone might have committed a crime".

To use your rape example, suppose instead of "we're looking for a white
male because of this specific case we're looking into" the police started
by collecting DNA samples from all white males just *in case* a crime
were committed.

That's the difference.  What the Arizona law does is not tie the act of
"being an illegal immigrant" to a specific instance of a crime.

Does that make sense?

Jim