POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 09:20:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Darren New
Date: 2 May 2010 16:11:38
Message: <4bdddc7a$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>>>   So all other types of criminal profiling are ok, but not profiling based
>>> on how someone looks like?
>
>> No. It's not legal to profile anyone before a crime has been committed.
>
>   I don't think that's the case. There are all kinds of typical profiles
> of several types of criminals. For example "a serial killer is typically
> a white middle-aged male".

Having a statistical profile isn't the same as profiling someone. That sort
of profiling is used to reduce the number of people to consider *before* you
talk to people, not to *increase* the number of people you talk to about the
crime.

You wouldn't be allowed to go around and question every white middle-aged
male simply because there's a serial killer going around whacking people.

I don't know. What do you have against police having to have a reason to
think maybe you're doing something wrong before they stop and force you to
prove you're not?  It really is more efficient that way.

>> Nobody minds being asked to show proof of citizenship if a crime has been
>> committed, or even if a crime *might* have been committed. This law isn't
>> that. This law is stopping people just in case maybe a crime has been committed.
>
>   Maybe it's just me, but I really don't see a difference between "might
> have been" and "maybe has been"... You probably used poor wording for that.

By "might have been", I mean that if there's a reason to suspect you're
illegal and you prove you aren't, then a crime "might have been committed."
It wasn't, but there was some indication it might have been.

The second sentence is stopping people before you have any indication there
was a crime at all.

It's the difference between going door to door and questioning males if they
know anything about Mary being raped, after Mary reports being raped; vs
going door to door to ask each male to prove they haven't raped anyone. If
you want to go with your "profiling" comment.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)