POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:23:20 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Darren New
Date: 2 May 2010 14:42:20
Message: <4bddc78c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>   So all other types of criminal profiling are ok, but not profiling based
> on how someone looks like?

No. It's not legal to profile anyone before a crime has been committed.

>   I really think this is political correctness getting in the way of
> criminal investigation.

Nobody minds being asked to show proof of citizenship if a crime has been
committed, or even if a crime *might* have been committed. This law isn't
that. This law is stopping people just in case maybe a crime has been committed.

>   Right. Profiling based on gender is ok. Profiling based on skin color
> is not.

No. This is rounding up samples from all the men in case someone got raped
that the police don't know about.

>   Well, I suppose if illegal immigration is not seen as such a bad crime,
> you could argue that it can be overlooked.

No, it's that the law requires the police to look for criminals without any
indication of where to start, or any indication that there was even a crime
committed.

You don't go around questioning all the men in an area, trying to determine
if they're hiding the fact they raped someone, *before* someone reports
being raped.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)