POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:18:46 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Warp
Date: 2 May 2010 03:05:24
Message: <4bdd2434@news.povray.org>
> On Sat, 01 May 2010 13:13:57 -0400, Warp wrote:

> > Jim Henderson <nos### [at] nospamcom> wrote:
> >> No, but the notion that you can pick someone up because they *look*
> >> like an illegal immigrant (which BTW violates the 4th amendment right
> >> to protection against unreasonable search/seizure) *is* patently
> >> racist.
> >
> >   Why does it have to be racism?

> Because it relies on racial profiling, and not on what has been done.

  So all other types of criminal profiling are ok, but not profiling based
on how someone looks like?

  I really think this is political correctness getting in the way of
criminal investigation.

> >   Imagine that a woman is raped, and the police is immediately called,
> > and they suspect that the rapist is still in the vicinity. The police
> > ought to start questioning suspects they find. Male suspects.

> Different circumstances.

  Right. Profiling based on gender is ok. Profiling based on skin color
is not.

> >   Likewise with illegal immigration: The vast majority of illegal
> >   immigrants
> > don't look like locals.

> Except that in Arizona, the vast majority of immigrants (legal and not)
> are of hispanic descent.

  You are the fourth. Do we get a fifth?

>  Let's see how many Canadian immigrants get
> stopped there because "they don't look like they belong".

  Is it typical for illegal Canadian immigrants to move to Arizona?

> > Hence it only makes sense to prioritize the
> > scarce resources law enforcement has and concentrate on people who don't
> > look like locals. This is not racism. This is practicality. Questioning
> > people equally is only going to waste resources, which wastes taxpayers'
> > money, and causes less crimes to be stopped.

> No, this law *is* a waste of taxpayer money, in fact, several police
> departments in Arizona have said that this takes resources away from
> *real* crime.

  Well, I suppose if illegal immigration is not seen as such a bad crime,
you could argue that it can be overlooked.

--
                                                          - Warp