POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:16:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Warp
Date: 1 May 2010 14:43:32
Message: <4bdc7654@news.povray.org>
> Warp wrote:
> >   3%. But I don't understand what that has to do with anything. It still
> > doesn't change the fact that immigrants typically tend to look distinctively
> > different from natives.

> In *your* country, maybe. In the USA, *everyone* looks like an immigrant.

  You are missing the point. If I have understood correctly, the vast
majority of illegal immigrants in the US tend to look like central Americans,
for obvious reasons.

  If a very significant percentage of illegal immigrants tend to be central
Americans, it makes only sense to scrutinize them more closely.

> >   I'm pretty sure that a significant percentage of illegal immigrants in
> > the US can be distinguished by their looks.

> No. A lot of *legal* immigrants might be distinguished by their looks.

  What does that have to do with anything? What matters is where the illegal
immigrants are coming from, not where the legal ones are. If 90% of illegal
immigrants are Mexicans, then the immigration officers should concentrate
their resources on Mexicans. It wouldn't make sense for them to distribute
their scarce resources on everybody if 90% of illegals are Mexicans.

> Even so, given it's possible that someone is a legal citizen and also a
> child of illegal immigrants, you can't distinguish someone by their looks.

  That sentence doesn't make any sense.

> >   You can call it racism if you want. That will not change the facts.

> People aren't worried about harassing the illegal immigrants unnecessarily.
> They're worried about harassing the legal citizens and residents unnecessarily.

  Stopping crime sometimes means that innocent people are questioned. That's
something we have to live with.

  Or are you saying that criminals should not be tracked down because doing
so might bother some innocent people?

  Stop being naive and look at the harsh reality of the world: Criminals are
scumbags, and because of them innocent people have to sometimes endure some
scrutiny. It sucks, but if we want to catch the criminals we sometimes just
have to suck it up. As long as there's crime, innocent people will have to
suffer.

--
                                                          - Warp