POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:17:58 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Warp
Date: 1 May 2010 14:35:43
Message: <4bdc747f@news.povray.org>
> Jim Henderson wrote:
> > I don't think that this is what Darren was saying, but rather that the
> > Arizona law opens the potential for someone who *is* a legal citizen but
> > isn't carrying their papers on them to be deported.

> No. I'm saying that some people want to pass a law to deport someone who
> *is* a legal citizen and who *is* carrying their passport to be deported
> because they were born of illegal immigrants.

  If someone commits a crime which is so serious to deserve tens of years
of prison, it might, in fact, be more practical if he was thrown out of
the country because that would become cheaper. Such a criminal does not
deserve the protection of society (regardless of what his citizenship
status is).

  Of course there are practical problems to this as well, which would make
the practice impossible: If someone is a citizen, it usually means he does
not have citizenship of any other country, so where are you going to deport
him to? You can't just dump him to another country (even if his parents are
from that country) if he isn't a citizen of that country. He would
effectively become a refugee, which might not be accepted by that country
because the reasons of him being a refugee are not acceptable (namely, he
was kicked out of his own country because of a serious crime he committed).
If country A started dumping its own criminal citizens to country B, which
has its own immigration laws and policies, it would probably cause a political
conflict.

  So countries are stuck with their own citizens, no matter what kind of
criminal monsters they might be. The can't dump them somewhere else.

  A cynic could say "the government granted him citizenship, the government
is stuck with him, so it just has to suck it up".

--
                                                          - Warp