POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Bl**dy election (part 2) : Re: Bl**dy election (part 2) Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:22:13 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Bl**dy election (part 2)
From: Warp
Date: 1 May 2010 13:51:35
Message: <4bdc6a27@news.povray.org>
Stephen <mca### [at] aoldotcom> wrote:
> On 01/05/2010 6:13 PM, Warp wrote:
> > Jim Henderson<nos### [at] nospamcom>  wrote:
> >> No, but the notion that you can pick someone up because they *look* like
> >> an illegal immigrant (which BTW violates the 4th amendment right to
> >> protection against unreasonable search/seizure) *is* patently racist.
> >
> >    Why does it have to be racism?

> >    Likewise with illegal immigration: The vast majority of illegal immigrants
> > don't look like locals. Hence it only makes sense to prioritize the scarce
> > resources law enforcement has and concentrate on people who don't look like
> > locals. This is not racism. This is practicality. Questioning people equally
> > is only going to waste resources, which wastes taxpayers' money, and causes
> > less crimes to be stopped.
> >

> Obviously Finland does not have a large immigrant population, about 1%
> excluding Finnish Swedes as far as I can make out.

  3%. But I don't understand what that has to do with anything. It still
doesn't change the fact that immigrants typically tend to look distinctively
different from natives. Especially illegal ones (because it's rare for
someone who could pass for a Finn to want to immigrate illegally here).

  I'm pretty sure that a significant percentage of illegal immigrants in
the US can be distinguished by their looks. If you saw a Finnish person
there I don't think it would be highest in the list of suspects of illegal
immigration.

  You can call it racism if you want. That will not change the facts.

--
                                                          - Warp