POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:21:16 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 30 Apr 2010 11:27:38
Message: <4bdaf6ea$1@news.povray.org>
On Fri, 30 Apr 2010 08:01:03 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:

> On 4/29/2010 2:12 PM, Jim Henderson wrote:
>> Yeah, the only reason I haven't moved to cable from my DSL is that I
>> would have to deal with Comcast, and they have some (IMHO) stupid ideas
>> about 'net neutrality' and what "unlimited" means.
>
> Yeah, I've read about that. I think they backed down on it a bit. Once
> FiOS is available, I'll probably jump from cable to that. Time Warner
> isn't exactly innocent, either.

Yeah, in general the cable companies act as monopolies in the US, because
there's generally only one provider per area.

My DSL line is through Covad Communications, but ISP service is
Earthlink, and the DSL line at the point of service is actually owned by
Qwest (our local telco).  When I do have problems with the line, it's
messy to sort out, but it's been several years since I had a problem that
was actually messy to fix (and that was a lightning strike a the CO that
took out something like 40,000 people).

Jim