POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sneakernet : Re: "Up to" or "real" Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:18:50 EDT (-0400)
  Re: "Up to" or "real"
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Apr 2010 09:40:46
Message: <4bdaddde@news.povray.org>
TC wrote:

> Out of idle curiosity: have you actually measured data-transfer?
>
> I pay for 6Mbit/s but get only 3Mbit/s. Of course, all kinds of people want
> to sell me flat rates with "up to 16 Mbit/s" - but when I ask them to give
> me a written statement that I >will < be able to use at least  a 6 Mbit/s
> line, I never ever hear of them again.
>
> God, how I hate advertisements with "up to" or "starting from"...

My employer's Internet connection is *guaranteed* to be 5 Mbit/sec in
both directions at all times. (There are also contractual guarantees
about how quickly the ISP will fix it if it breaks.)

How much do you pay for your broadband?

You *can* buy guaranteed bandwidth. It's just kinda pricey... ;-)

> (For the more conventionally minded resellers of used cars: we can safely
> assume that any car can travel at speeds of up to 200 km/h, albeit briefly.
> Just push it off the cliff of your choice.)

For a sufficiently high cliff. And provided that the car's aerodynamic
drag is insignificant compared to its mass at that speed... If it's a
Robin Reliant, this is a dubious assumption.