POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sneakernet : "Up to" or "real" Server Time
4 Sep 2024 11:19:58 EDT (-0400)
  "Up to" or "real"
From: TC
Date: 30 Apr 2010 09:34:33
Message: <4bdadc69@news.povray.org>
> I guess Munich just has good support in the outskirts too.  Now I live 30
> km from the centre and get 6 Mbit/s (not sure if this is the limit of my
> line, my plan/modem is max 6 mbit/s).  According to this map of where VDSL
> is available:

Out of idle curiosity: have you actually measured data-transfer?

I pay for 6Mbit/s but get only 3Mbit/s. Of course, all kinds of people want
to sell me flat rates with "up to 16 Mbit/s" - but when I ask them to give
me a written statement that I >will < be able to use at least  a 6 Mbit/s
line, I never ever hear of them again.

God, how I hate advertisements with "up to" or "starting from"...

It's a bit like trying to sell a 40 year old VW beetle and advertising that
it will be able to travel at speeds >up to< 800.000 km/h...

Incindentally it actually does travel this fast provided you look at it from
the center of our galaxy. ;-) The actual speed and direction of it relative
to your own street can be seen as a mere pertubation in this case.
Everything just depends on your standpoint...

(For the more conventionally minded resellers of used cars: we can safely
assume that any car can travel at speeds of up to 200 km/h, albeit briefly.
Just push it off the cliff of your choice.)