POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spectrum : Re: Spectrum Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:20:26 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spectrum
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 30 Apr 2010 09:00:20
Message: <4bdad464$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/30/2010 7:02 AM, Invisible wrote:
> Mike Raiford wrote:
>
>> It's amazing when you look at how your auditory system works. Your
>> brain essentially gets the Fourier transform of what you're listening to.
>
> Be careful with that...

Yeah, I was simplifying greatly what is happening... If you want to
display a voiceprint or Realtime spectrum, you'll need to move a window
across the signal.

> (You might think, for example, that you could just snip your 5-minute
> song into, say, 50 ms chunks and take the Fourier transform of each
> chunk. Alas, snipping it up introduces phantom frequencies that aren't
> really there.)
>
> I've spent a significant amount of time trying to come up with some
> mathematics for analysing sound the way that the human auditry system
> does... So far, nothing works.

Yeah, someone said it before, but there are windowing functions for
that. If you want to get quick and dirty, you can use a rectangular
window, but this will introduce artifacts in the resulting spectrum.

Strangely enough the other day I was experimenting with windowing in a
Fourier transform to analyze a rather complex FSK signal (Trying to get
a grip on how the signal worked ...) The major problem I had with it was
the fact that there was significant smearing between samples, that I
couldn't tell when the frequencies were changing, not only that it made
it exceedingly difficult to determine what the frequencies were. I tried
various windowing functions and window sizes.

I should pick up my little DSP project I was working on and fiddle with
it again.

--
~Mike