POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spectrum : Re: Spectrum Server Time
4 Sep 2024 15:23:06 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spectrum
From: Invisible
Date: 30 Apr 2010 08:02:31
Message: <4bdac6d7$1@news.povray.org>
Mike Raiford wrote:

> It's amazing when you look at how your auditory system works. Your brain
> essentially gets the Fourier transform of what you're listening to.

Be careful with that...

Audio systems generally represent sound in the time domain. The Fourier
transform moves data from the time domain to the frequency domain. But
humans don't hear sound in the frequency domain; they hear it in a
*combination* of both domains - i.e., as a spectrum that changes over time.

You can take a 5-minute song and take the Fourier transform of it, and
that will only tell you what combination of [fifty zillion] sine waves
you need to add together to get back the same waveform. That's not how a
human would perceive it; they hear notes and beats and things - sounds
*changing* over time, but one static combination of frequencies.

It turns out this is one of the most tricky things in DSP. Working with
signals that have a meaning in *both* domains...

(You might think, for example, that you could just snip your 5-minute
song into, say, 50 ms chunks and take the Fourier transform of each
chunk. Alas, snipping it up introduces phantom frequencies that aren't
really there.)

I've spent a significant amount of time trying to come up with some
mathematics for analysing sound the way that the human auditry system
does... So far, nothing works.