POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Web-based access to SQL database : Re: Web-based access to SQL database Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:14:14 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Web-based access to SQL database
From: Neeum Zawan
Date: 29 Apr 2010 21:00:57
Message: <4bda2bc9@news.povray.org>
On 04/29/10 01:26, clipka wrote:
> Any sophisticated suggestions what technology to use? CGI? PHP? JSP (I
> can do some Java coding)? How about those fancy new frameworks like Ruby
> on Rails and some such?

	Django is the equivalent of Ruby on Rails in the Python world. I've
used it extensively.

	You could use PHP and write the SQL queries yourself (not fun). Stuff
like RoR and Django create the SQL queries for you (so it doesn't matter
much whether you use MySQL or some other supported database). *You*
write the "queries" in the language (Ruby or Python). No idea how good
the Windows support is - should be in the docs.

	There are some frameworks in PHP that do that for you, but I don't know
much about them.

	Even if you do use these frameworks to abstract away from SQL, you
still need to _design_ your database (what tables, what foreign keys,
etc). So you should learn the very basics of databases (I myself know
only as much).

	You may want to consider looking at CMS's like Drupal, Joomla, etc.
Using various modules/plugins, you may be able to set up your site
without writing any code.

--
I considered atheism but there weren't enough holidays.