POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spectrum : Re: Spectrum Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spectrum
From: Mike Raiford
Date: 29 Apr 2010 12:52:50
Message: <4bd9b962$1@news.povray.org>
On 4/29/2010 8:13 AM, clipka wrote:
> It's being done, not only for IR, but also for radio/microwave.

I'm supposing that's what the radio telescope images some from....

> Thermal IR cameras are pretty well established as equipment for e.g.
> police helicopters to search for or track people (particularly at night).

Yep. But those cameras are very expensive pieces of equipment, and have
to be specially cooled in order to work properly.

> Sound "images" are common for sonar systems. And ultrasound imaging
> devices, for that matter.

Well, that and Doppler radar (used for weather) also shows an image of a
radio wave of sorts. (A very similar concept, actually)

I was thinking more along the lines of a "CCD" for radio type device,
though. I think the radio telescopes generally examine a small are of
the sky for a certain frequency, then composite the information to build
a picture.

--
~Mike