POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Radiosity Load/Save Question : Re: Radiosity Load/Save Question Server Time
4 Jul 2024 13:04:41 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Radiosity Load/Save Question
From: clipka
Date: 29 Apr 2010 09:26:16
Message: <4bd988f8$1@news.povray.org>
Am 29.04.2010 14:59, schrieb Kenneth:

> My little test may not be definitive; but it seems to me that the temp .rca file
> isn't doing much! *If* that's also the case in the *betas* (with its newer
> radiosity code), it leads me to ask: Is the temp .rca file stored on disk really
> necessary? (That is, for an aborted render?) The only thing I see it doing is
> taking up disk space--and it can be a whoppingly large file. (There are
> instances in the past where I've aborted a rad run, then put the scene away for
> awhile--which leaves that temp .rca file intact, necessitating hand removal.) If
> any of my reasoning or results are valid, it seems to me that the file should be
> erased even after an aborted run. Comments?

I don't know for sure whether the temp .rca file really ever worked as
intended in 3.6.

Note that in order for the temp .rca data to be re-used, you'll have to
start the second render in abort-continue mode.

Furthermore, 3.6 only stored "top-level" radiosity samples, i.e. those
produced at recursion depth 1. If you choose a higher recursion depth
and POV-Ray decides that it needs more samples in the final render than
are available in the cache, it will have to re-compute quite a lot of
"deeper" samples.