POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Spectrum : Re: Spectrum Server Time
4 Sep 2024 13:20:32 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Spectrum
From: clipka
Date: 29 Apr 2010 09:14:01
Message: <4bd98619@news.povray.org>
Am 29.04.2010 14:34, schrieb Mike Raiford:

>> I'd love to do the whole trip with time-lapse photography, high-speed
>> photography, UV and thermographs, etc. In fact, I've often wondered what
>> the world would look like if you would see radio waves. (I'm guessing
>> that due to the absurdly long wavelength, most objects would be too
>> blurry to see.) I've even wondered what the world would look like if you
>> could see sound.
>
> Interesting thought. Not sure how to build a detector for radio waves,
> though (in terms of forming an image on a plane ...) it's exceedingly
> difficult to detect thermal IR, I can only imagine the difficulty in
> focusing radio waves onto a plane.

It's being done, not only for IR, but also for radio/microwave.

Thermal IR cameras are pretty well established as equipment for e.g.
police helicopters to search for or track people (particularly at night).

Modern jet fighter planes like the F22 Raptor are also equipped with
electronics that can detect the direction of both IR and radar (i.e.
microwave) emitters, to warn the pilot of potential threats. And AFAIK
they're not limited to a single emitter, but can detect multiple at once.

Sound "images" are common for sonar systems. And ultrasound imaging
devices, for that matter.