POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Sneakernet : Sneakernet Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:16:23 EDT (-0400)
  Sneakernet
From: Invisible
Date: 29 Apr 2010 08:01:27
Message: <4bd97517$1@news.povray.org>
Here's one for you:

A single-layer DVD apparently holds about 4.7 GB of data. So ten of them
would hold about 47 GB.

That means that if I burn 10 DVDs and mail them to somebody, and it
takes 2 days for them to arrive, I have just achieved an average data
transfer rate of about 1 GB/hour. (About 0.2 MB/sec.)

But hey, why burn 10 DVDs when you can just buy a cheap HD and mail
that? (I'm guessing at this point the weight starts to become

takes 2 days for that to turn up, that's around 23 Mbit/sec -
significantly faster than any possible broadband connection.

rate!

On the other hand, if it takes 4 days to arrive, I just halved the
transfer rate. And the latency is, of course, abysmal...

I found the following quote on Wikipedia:

"The theoretical capacity of a Boeing 747 filled with Blu-Ray discs is
595,520,000 Gigabits, resulting in a 37,034.826 Gb/s flight from New
York to Los Angeles."

Somebody bothered to compute this?!? o_O