POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
4 Sep 2024 17:21:03 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 28 Apr 2010 17:12:46
Message: <4bd8a4ce$1@news.povray.org>
On Wed, 28 Apr 2010 08:35:30 -0500, Mike Raiford wrote:

> On 4/27/2010 8:15 PM, Neeum Zawan wrote:
>> On 04/27/10 07:57, Mike Raiford wrote:
>>> Whats not to follow? They stream movies directly from the internet
>>> (albeit at SD resolutions ..)
>>
>> 	Depends on how you define SD - I've seen movies through it that
are
>> definitely beyond DVD quality.
>>

> I think the resolution actually tops out somewhere around 720x480. Their
> STB only supports the SD mode, though it may be progressive scan, or it
> could be that you have a high enough bandwidth connection that you're
> getting less compression.
>
> What I have seen does indeed rival DVD in terms of picture quality,
> though.

It does; we stream from Netflix to our PS3, resolution isn't bad often
times (depends on the congestion on the network).  The other day I
watched Chaplin because I'd never seen it - a few places the picture
quality dropped out, but it was definitely watchable.  They only do
stereo sound, though, which was annoying (what with a 7.1 system in the
room).

Jim