POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 01:24:39 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: John VanSickle
Date: 27 Apr 2010 17:13:09
Message: <4bd75365$1@news.povray.org>
Invisible wrote:

> Hell, when I was at uni ten years ago we had computers exceeding these
> resolutions. With Windows NT 4.0, Service Pack 4. Has technology not
> moved on since then? It's not like there's any technical challenge to
> using a higher resolution, after all...

Government regulators, for whom being safe is generally more important
than being right, had a major role in the determination of the standard.
  The standard had to allow for broadcast within a strictly-defined
frequency band, and this limit was chosen based on technology that is
now ready for deployment to your local museum, because these decisions
were made years ago.

If I am remembering things correctly, there was even some insistence
that the signal be displayable by sets designed for the old broadcast
standard.  If that sounds thinking-impaired, well, that's the FCC for you.

Regards,
John