POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 03:20:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Darren New
Date: 27 Apr 2010 12:18:20
Message: <4bd70e4c$1@news.povray.org>
Warp wrote:
>> scott wrote:
>>> Anyway, there are also compression algorithms that are a lot more
>>> efficient than the one used on DVDs. So in theory you could get DVD
>>> quality with a lot less than 9 MBit/s if you use a better compression
>>> algorithm.
>
>> Indeed. A 10:1 improvement in compression is easily attainable without
>> noticable loss compared to DVD compression anyway.
>
>   10 times smaller than MPEG-2 with the same visual quality? Now that,
> I think, would be quite hard.

Hmm. Rethinking, 6:1 or so. Basically, you can fit a DVD onto a CD without
really comprimising the signal.  And remember that when they make DVDs, they
don't necessarily squeeze it as small as possible. They squeeze it as much
as necessary to make it fit on the disk, even if they could compress it more.

I misthought. It's more like 6:1. I was confusing Blu->DVD instead of
DVD->CD or something.

--
Darren New, San Diego CA, USA (PST)