POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Another day, another failure : Another day, another failure Server Time
4 Sep 2024 05:13:57 EDT (-0400)
  Another day, another failure
From: Invisible
Date: 27 Apr 2010 06:58:52
Message: <4bd6c36c$1@news.povray.org>
I wrote a small program to plot a logarithmic scale. Although it's wider
at one end than the other, it doesn't look quite right to me. And when I
attempted to do some calculations with it, I got gibberish answers.

Upon further investigation, I discovered that my logarithmic scale is
not, in fact, logarithmic. It fails to have at least two properties that
a propper log scale should have:

Fact #1: The distance from 1 to 2 should equal the distance from 2 to 4.

Fact #2: The distance from 1 to 2 should equal the distance from 10 to 20.

Looking at my scale, the distance from 10 to 20 is about a dozen times
larger than from 1 to 2. EPIC FAILURE.

As I said, the tick marks aren't equally spaced - so it's not a linear
scale. But it's also not properly logarithmic either. God only knows how
I've managed to get something this trivial so badly wrong... :'{