POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.off-topic : Baffling : Re: Baffling Server Time
5 Sep 2024 05:20:57 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Baffling
From: Jim Henderson
Date: 27 Apr 2010 00:05:46
Message: <4bd6629a$1@news.povray.org>
On Mon, 26 Apr 2010 15:33:14 -0700, Darren New wrote:

> Jim Henderson wrote:
>> With our sound system, it's just like going to the cinema
>
> My brother had movie theatre seats for a while too, until he realized a
> couch was more comfortable anyway.  It was amusing, tho. I think he
> still has them in storage.

We thought about doing that, but we'll only be in this house for about
another year, then we're moving again (after the kid graduates college
and moves out, this house is too big for just two of us); we decided that
here in Utah, a house with a room that's easily converted to another
bedroom would be more valuable, so all we have to do is patch the holes
from the mounts for the screen and the projector - no problem. :-)

If we were going to be here longer, I'd have even run the wires for the
speakers in the walls. :-)

>> On the downside, had to replace the bulb in the projector last weekend.
>> Had a spare on hand, but those bulbs are not cheap. :-/
>
> That they aren't!

Got about 16 months of use out of the original one.  Noisy when they
blow, too - like a firecracker going off.  I'd had one do that to me in a
class I was teaching once, and still wasn't fully prepared for it when it
went.

Looks like I can get my bulbs sub-$300, though, which isn't bad; the
replacement I got was valued at $450 by Mitsubishi.

>> But yeah, our PS3 is connected to it, so I end up playing the
>> occasional game on that screen.  It's really nice - even my wife likes
>> it, and she initially thought the idea was ridiculous, but she now
>> admits freely that it was a good idea. :-)
>
> Yeah. And a wii is pretty spectacular too when you're not looking at a
> tennis court that's 20" wide.

Yeah, last year our team did a "development week" (for the course
developers), and one of the recreational activities was a wii connected
to one of the screens in one of the big classrooms - I don't recall for
sure, but I *think* those screens are 20' diagonal.

Jim