POV-Ray : Newsgroups : povray.beta-test : Windows beta 37 : Re: Windows beta 37 Server Time
2 Jul 2024 10:46:44 EDT (-0400)
  Re: Windows beta 37
From: clipka
Date: 26 Apr 2010 20:13:45
Message: <4bd62c39$1@news.povray.org>
Am 27.04.2010 00:51, schrieb Jim Holsenback:
> On 04/26/2010 07:11 PM, Tim Cook wrote:
>> The correction noted for
>> pass_through for photons doesn't really make much sense to be called
>> pass_through, though, if the photons are still being affected by the
>> object.
>
> Cool ... then I'm not the only one. I was struggling with how to add
> changes into 3.7 documentation for this and all I could come up with was
> WTF!!! Needless to say I put it on my to-do list and moved onto
> something else. I've got a feeling that this is a WIP and anything that
> I would have been able to come up with is going to change ;-)

As mentioned, "it needs to be seen whether this new behavior will be
accepted by the users"...

Okay, first feedback sounds pretty much like it won't be ;-)

Back to the drawing board... suggestions on this whole smash, anyone?

One idea I had already pondered was to allow for "pass_through" to
optionally be followed by "filter" to indicate that the object should
still attenuate light passing through.

Note that currently non-pass_through objects block photons /entirely/
when encountered before the target, even if they have their pigment set
to "rgbt 1".